Inter-School Scrabble Championship 2019
About the Championship
Date: 16 March 2019 (Sat)
Time: 09:00 – 17:30. Registration starts at 08:30
Players are expected to stay for the whole tournament, while there will be a lunch break in between. Details will be announced on the day.
Venue: School Hall, PLK WWCWD Fung Lee Pui Yiu Primary School, 11 Kwun Tsing Road, So Kwun Wat, Tuen Mun
- Primary Category: All primary schools in Hong Kong are eligible to send a team of 3 to 5 players from Primary 1 to 6.
- Secondary Category: All secondary schools in Hong Kong are eligible to send a team of 3 to 5 players from Secondary 1 to 6. Each team must consist of at least one junior secondary (Secondary 1 to 3) player.
Application fee: Free
For the top division (Division A)
5 games, Australian Swiss Draw for first 4 rounds and King of the Hill (KOTH) for last round. 5-point unsubstantiated challenge penalty.
For lower division(s)
4 games, Australian Swiss Draw for first 3 rounds and King of the Hill (KOTH) for last round. Free challenge.
For all divisions
25 minutes per player, WESPA rules version 3
Each division consists of around ten schools, while the organiser reserves the final rights to make appropriate changes.
Rating qualification: Top Division (Division A) of each Category will be HKSPA-rated.
Dictionary: Collins Official Scrabble Words 2015 (CSW15)
Prizes: For each category -
School prizes (Trophies)
Champion, 1st Runner-up and 2nd Runner-up for each division.
To compete for school prizes, a school must have at least three players participating in all rounds in the tournament. For Secondary Category, each school must send at least one Secondary 1-3 player in each round. When calculating school ranking and awards, only the top 3 players from each school will be counted.
Individual prizes (Medals)
Individual Champion, Individual 1st Runner-up, Individual 2nd Runner-up for each division
High Word, High Game for the whole category
Most Valuable Player for each school having at least three players playing in all rounds
Certificates of Participation will be issued to all participants. Certificates of Award will be issued to participants after the tournament for those participants with school and individual awards.
Workshop for new players: Introductory workshop will be provided for novice players enrolled for the championship on 26 January 2019 (Saturday). The workshop will introduce basic game rules and techniques. Please click here for more details.
How to enter: School teacher or coaches may submit an online application form on behalf of their school online on HKSPA Tournament Enrolment System. Please make a record of your reference code after successful submission of the application.
Deadline of application:
- Joining both Introductory Workshop AND the Championship: 21 January 2019 (Monday)
School teachers will be invited to nominate their students for the workshop after successful submission of their application form.
- Joining the Championship only: Extended to 4 March 2019 (Monday)
25 February 2019 (Monday)
Enrolment will be served on a first-come-first-served basis.
If the enrolled players are unable to attend the tournament, we will allow changing players with the following arrangement:
- Changing players before the 4 March 2019: Teachers and coaches may change their team formation on the HKSPA Tournament Enrolment System by themselves. Please log in the system with your reference code obtained from initial application to make changes. No handling fee will be charged for such changes. Please note that players added after 21 January 2019 are ineligible for the introductory workshop.
- Changing players after 4 March 2019 but by 9 March 2019: Changes may be allowed subject to valid justification accepted at the organisers’ discretion. Teachers and coaches may send their request to
[email protected]stating the players to be added/removed/replaced with justification. $50 administrative charge will be charged per name added or replaced to cover the administrative cost and printing cost incurred if the change(s) is/are approved.
- Changing players after 9 March 2019: Applications will normally not be accepted.
Please let us know as soon as possible if you expect any player cannot attend the tournament for any reasons to facilitate our arrangement.
Acknowledgement: The venue for the championship is kindly sponsored by PLK WWCWD Fung Lee Pui Yiu Primary School.
For any enquiries, please email
Please note and observe the following policies BEFORE you enrol for this championship.
Displayed name policy
You are required to submit a displayed name for your student. The name will be recorded for identification and HKSPA rating purpose, and will be displayed publicly.
- You are highly recommended to use the name on their HKID card.
- Please follow the format of “English Name”, “SURNAME”, “Chinese Name”. e.g. Peter CHAN Tai Man / Ruben LOFTUS-CHEEK / YIP Yat Sum / Carson TSANG.
- The displayed name cannot exceed 20 characters (including spaces). e.g. Peter LEUNG Shou Chi contains 20 characters.
Players who have played in any HKSPA-rated or WESPA-rated tournaments before should use the SAME displayed name as they used in any previous tournaments. They are normally not allowed to change their displayed name.
To confirm the students you enrolled are studying in your school, please note that your student MUST bring their student card to the venue. They may use their student handbook instead of their student card if your school does not issue student card. We accept original of the document only.
Players who forgot to do so could show us a photo of the student card/student handbook for verification. They will be charged an administrative fee of HK$50.
Students may not be allowed to play if you cannot prove their identity before the championship begins, even if they know the committee members personally.