Date: 22 February 2020 (Sat)
Time: 12:30 - 17:00, Registration starts at 12:15.
Venue: School Hall, HKMLC Ming Tao Primary School, 7 Choi Ming Street, Tseung Kwan O
Entry Fee: Free
Eligibility: All Primary and Junior Secondary (S1-S3) novices. “Novices” refer to all players except the following players:
- Players who have participated in at least one WESPA-rated overseas tournament
- The winners (1st – 8th) of the Joint-School Scrabble Tournament for Novices (2018-19) (List)
- The top 10 players in the Hong Kong Youth Scrabble Champions Tournament 2019 (List)
- Players who have played more than 30 games in HKSPA-rated or HKSPA-recognised tournaments, including rated or non-rated games
You may check whether a player is eligible using this online tool.
- 25 minutes per player, Free Challenge, WESPA rules version 4
- 3 Rounds, first round random draw, Round 2 and Round 3 Australian Swiss Draw
- Players from the same school will not play against each other
- All players MUST compete in all the 3 games.
- The official dictionary is Collins Official Scrabble Words 2019 (CSW19)
- Two- and three-letter word lists will be provided during all games. Players are allowed to refer to it, but they are not allowed to write on it. They cannot bring in their own word list.
- Medals for top 8 players
- All participants will receive a Certificate of Participation
There will be an overall quota on players who can participate in the tournament. In case the quota is full, applications will be accepted on the following sequence:
- Player who is an HKSPA Individual Member
- The school that the player is studying is an HKSPA School Member
- On a first-come-first-served basis
Each school may send at most 10 players to the tournament. Schools that would like to send more than 10 players to the tournament may submit additional names to be placed on wait list by email. The organiser may or may not allow extra entries depending on the overall enrollment status. You will be informed the application result after the closure of application period.
Players may also apply individually if their school is not submitting a school-based application. Please confirm with the school before making an application. The individual application may be declined or merged into the school-based application if the school has (subsequently) submitted a school-based application.
How to enter: Application can be made on a School Basis or Individual Basis. Please fill in the online application form via HKSPA Tournament Application System on or before 7 February 2020.
Please mark down your application reference or link your application form to your HKSPA School Member account. You may apply for joining the workshop after submitting the application for the Tournament.
Change of players:
- Schools may change players before the deadline of application. You may modify your application by quoting your application reference code or login to your HKSPA School Member account. Visit this page to continue.
- You may change players only under special circumstances (subject to the organisers’ discretion) after the deadline. $50 administrative charge will be levied per name changed to cover the administrative cost and printing cost incurred. Schools are normally not allowed to change the players within one week before the tournament.
- Players with symptoms of sickness should not participate in any tournaments. School teacher should notify the organiser if they are aware that any players will be absent from the event. The school teacher may notify the organiser if his or her school would like to replace the sick player prior to the tournament, as soon as practicable. The administrative charge for such replacement will be waived under such circumstances.
- If you found that you are no longer available for the tournament, please send an email to
[email protected]to withdraw your application.
Remarks: The tournament may be cancelled or postponed if there are any extenuating circumstances.