The 3rd Joint-School Scrabble Tournament for Novices (2017-2018) is jointly organised by Hong Kong Scrabble Players Association and SKH Tsang Shiu Tim Secondary School. This event aims at providing a platform for new Scrabble players to play with opponents of similar level in a competitive environment.
Information of the tournament
Date: 7 July 2018 (Sat)
Time: 09:00 - 17:00, Registration starts at 08:45.
Venue: Room 201 - 206, SKH Tsang Shiu Tim Secondary School, 6 Tak Hau Street, Wo Che Estate, Shatin
Eligibility: All Primary and Junior Secondary (S1-S3) novices. “Novices” refer to all players except the following players:
- Hong Kong Youth Scrabble Team 2015, 2016 and 2017 members
- The winners (1st – 8th) of the Joint-School Scrabble Tournament for Novices (2016-17)
- The top 20 players of the Hong Kong Youth Scrabble Champions Tournament 2017
All players MUST compete in all the 5 games. No players are allowed to apply for both the 5th Shatin Inter-School Scrabble Competition 2018 and this Tournament concurrently.
- 25 minutes per player, Free Challenge, WESPA rules version 3
- 5 Rounds, first round random draw, Round 2 to Round 4 Australian Swiss, last round King Of The Hill (KOTH)
- Players from the same school will not play against each other in the first 4 rounds
- The official dictionary is Collins Official Scrabble Words 2015 (CSW15)
- Two- and three-letter word lists will be provided during all games. Players are allowed to refer to it but they are not allowed to write on it. They cannot bring in their own word list too.
- 8:45 am – 9:00 am: Registration
- 9:00 am – 9:30 am: Briefing
- 9:30 am – 10:30 am: Round 1
- 10:30 am – 10:40 am: Break
- 10:40 am – 11:40 am: Round 2
- 11:40 am – 1:00 pm: Lunch
- 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm: Round 3
- 2:00 pm – 2:10 pm: Break
- 2:10 pm – 3:10 pm: Round 4
- 3:10 pm – 3:20 pm: Break
- 3:20 pm – 4:20 pm: Round 5
- 4:20 pm – 4:30 pm: Break
- 4:30 pm – 5:00 pm: Prize Presentation Ceremony
- Medals for top 8 players
- All participants will receive a Certificate of Participation
- The number of players for each school is limited to 10.
- There will be a limit on the total number of players who can participate in the event. In case the quota is full, applications will be accepted on the following sequence:
- Player who is an HKSPA Individual Member
- The school that the player is studying is an HKSPA School Member
- On a first-come-first-served basis
How to enter: Application can be made on a School Basis or Individual Basis. Please fill in the online application form via HKSPA Tournament Application System on or before 22 June 2018.
Change of players:
- Schools are allowed to change players before the deadline of application at no cost. Please follow the on-screen instruction after submitting the application for procedures on changing players.
- Subject to the organisers’ discretion, schools will be allowed to change players after the deadline but before 30 June 2018 (one week before the tournament). $50 administrative charge will be charged per name changed to cover the administrative cost and printing cost incurred.
- Schools are normally not allowed to change the players after 30 June 2018.
Contacts: For any enquiries, please send an email to